1:44pm PDT, Jun 5, 2022
Vivica A. Fox says Jada Pinkett Smith’s Oscar slap comments lacked ‘accountability’ for Will’s actions
On this week’s edition of “Red Table Talk,” Jada Pinkett Smith addressed her husband, Will Smith’s decision to slap Chris Rock onstage at the 2022 Oscars after Chris made a joke about Jada’s shaved head. But Jada’s approach felt “self-righteous” and lacked “accountability” in the eyes of Vivica A. Fox, who teared up on “The Wendy Williams Show” on June 2 while discussing it. “These are my peers … When I saw this video last night, it made me cry,” Vivica said of the June 1 “Red Table Talk” after noting she’s worked with each of the Smiths. Jada opened her show this week by telling viewers she hopes Will and Chris can make amends. The actress — who’s previously said she shaved her head because she suffers from alopecia, which causes hair loss — then launched into a whole episode devoted to discussing alopecia. From Vivica’s perspective, that just didn’t work. As she explained the next day: “We were all rooting for Will Smith that night — Oscar night — we wanted him to win … as far as I was concerned [he] was going to be crowned this generation’s Sidney Poitier, which is a huge honor.” Vivica then reminded viewers that when Will hit Chris on live TV, he “was defending [his wife’s] honor,” and concluded that Jada’s comments featured “no accountability” for what her husband had done. “Also, let’s not forget, Chris Rock was assaulted. We cannot forget that for basically telling a joke that I really felt wasn’t that bad,” Vivica added. “Let’s not forget the show was executive produced by Will Packer, an African American man. This night was a night of African American and diversity for brown and black people. That now will forever be scarred. … I have love for the Smiths. I know their children. I’ve watched them grow up,” she continued. “I just wish we could have just a little more accountability and for it to not seem so self-righteous on Jada’s part and that’s my feelings.”
Keep reading for more celeb news…
Gwyneth Paltrow reunites with Chris Martin for their daughter’s graduation
As families across the country celebrate high school graduations this month, plenty of proud parents are reuniting with their exes in the process — including Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin. The “consciously uncoupled” former spouses came together to watch their daughter, Apple Martin, pick up her diploma, a moment Gwyneth marked on June 2 with a group selfie on her Instagram Stories. “Congratulations to all of the graduates especially @applemartin,” Gwyneth captioned the cute post, adding, “Class of 2022.” Gwyneth’s longtime pal, Kate Hudson, shared a similar family selfie this week, smiling brightly alongside her ex-husband, Black Crowes frontman Chris Robinson, and their son, Ryder, who proudly showed off his diploma in the pic. “Today was a big day for our family,” Kate captioned a gallery of shots. “A day you talk about about when your kids are little and say things like ‘hey, one day it will be 2022 and you’ll graduate from high school!’ As if that day is so far it is barely reachable. And then here we are!” Tagging her “incredible” son, Kate went on to gush, “Raising you has been one of the great gifts and pleasures of my life. You bring so much to everyone’s life. You are kind, loving, generous, patient, hilarious and one of a kind. I am so excited for this next chapter.” She signed off with, “Way to go baby! Ma loves you! AND!!! To all the parents out there feeling the same thing I am today! CONGRATS! Letting your babies fly ain’t easy but fly kiddos fly! 💫.”
RELATED: Taylor Swift and more of Hollywood’s best graduation speakers
Nick Cannon talks fatherhood ahead of baby No. 8
It may sound impossible, but soon-to-be father of eight Nick Cannon says he’s doing just fine when it comes to juggling the responsibilities of fatherhood with a busy career. “I love my children. I love the people that I’m involved with,” the “Masked Singer” star, who will soon have welcomed kids with five different women, told Men’s Health in an interview published June 3. “People even often ask, ‘Are you gonna have more, you gonna stop?’ I’m like, those are questions that I don’t, I don’t really even sit around and think about. I’m just walking in my purpose and trying to be the best father and best provider I could possibly be,” Nick explained. Since his work in TV and radio is flexible yet lucrative, he’s able to be “engaged throughout my children’s day, more often than the average adult can be,” he told the outlet, saying he FaceTimes with children he’s not in the same city with when necessary. For those who are in the same place as their dad, Nick said he finds time to drop them off and pick them up from school and is “involved in everything from coaching to having guitar lessons with my daughter every week” after class. As for detractors who don’t support his approach? “I’ve seen where people believe a traditional household works, and [yet] there’s a lot of toxicity in that setting,” Nick said. “It’s not about what society deems is right. It’s like, what makes it right for you? What brings your happiness? What allows you to have joy and how you define family? We all define family in so many different ways.” Nick and model Brie Tiesi are currently awaiting the birth of Nick’s eighth child. His son with Alyssa Scott, Zen, died of a brain tumor in 2021.
RELATED: Alec Baldwin to welcome eighth child this fall, plus more stars with lots of kids
Jimmy Kimmel talks possible late-night TV exit
In January, amid rumors Jimmy Kimmel was planning to leave late-night TV, ABC chief Craig Erwich told Deadline the network would keep Jimmy on the air “for as many seasons as he wants to be.” Now, with his contract up next summer, the long-running “Live!” host says he’s still undecided about his future. “I wish I knew I was gonna do,” Jimmy told Variety‘s “Awards Circuit” podcast in a show published June 2. “I have moments where I go, ‘I cannot do this anymore.’ And I have moments where I go, ‘what am I gonna do with my life if I’m not doing this anymore?’ It’s a very complicated thing,” he said. “And there are practical considerations, and there are family and friend considerations and co-worker considerations. And eventually, I am going to have to stop doing this. I’m not going to do this forever. I would not be honest at all if I said that I have decided one way or the other. I’m thinking about it a lot, though.” The 54-year-old comic also admitted tackling current events in his monologue gets harder to do when he’s faced repeatedly with problems like the recent school shooting in Uvalde, Texas — and repeatedly sees little to no action being taken by lawmakers to stop it. “There is a certain amount of pessimism that infects you, when you’ve talked about this multiple times,” he said.
RELATED: Kate McKinnon leaves ‘SNL’: See Kate as Hillary Clinton and more stars who’ve played politicians and presidents on the hit sketch-comedy show
Johnny Depp to release album with Jeff Beck after defamation trial win
Just days after winning his highly publicized defamation case against ex-wife Amber Heard, Johnny Depp is pressing “go” on a return to the spotlight. Or at least, an attempt at one. During Johnny’s performance with guitarist Jeff Beck in Gateshead, England, on June 2, Jeff paused to announce he and the “Pirates of the Caribbean” alum have a new album coming out next month. “I’m gonna take this opportunity and tell you I met this guy five years ago, and we’ve never stopped laughing since,” Jeff said, according to social media videos that surfaced this week. “We actually made an album. I don’t know how it happened. It will be out in July.” The album will be the first recorded entertainment venture Johnny releases since a Virginia jury found in his favor in his claim Amber defamed him by writing a 2018 op-ed about surviving domestic abuse. Though she never named him, the jury awarded Johnny $15 million in damages — since reduced to $13.5 million — while Amber, who countersued her ex for defamation, was awarded just $2 million. In his lawsuit, he sought damages from Amber on grounds he lost work as a result of her op-ed. He has long denied her claims he abused her, though a former therapist for the couple said under oath during the trial that the stars mututally abused one another during their marriage .
Matthew Morrison calls claims about his ‘SYTYCD’ exit ‘blatantly untrue’
Matthew Morrison shared his side of the story behind his exit from “So You Think You Can Dance” on June 2, amid reports he’d been fired because a “flirty” direct message he sent to a female contestant made the woman “uncomfortable.” Matthew, who’s been married to Renee Puente since 2014, was reportedly fired after Fox “did their own investigation,” according to a People source. In a video posted to his Instagram this week, however, the “Glee” alum slammed those claims as “blatantly untrue statements made anonymously.” Speaking to the camera, Matthew said: “I have nothing to hide, so in the interest of transparency, I will read to you the one message that I wrote to a dancer on the show: ‘Hey, it’s Matthew. If you don’t mind, would love to get your number and talk you through some things.’ The end. I sent this because this dancer and I both share a mutual respect for a choreographer that I’ve known for over 20 years, and I was trying to help her get a job as a choreographer on the show.” He captioned the post, “Just to clarify.”
Lisa Rinna deletes claims Kathy Hilton paid someone to plant negative stories about her
Whoops, nothing to see here! On June 2, Lisa Rinna reportedly posted, but later deleted, screenshots of messages suggesting her “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” co-star Kathy Hilton paid someone to plant stories online about Lisa. According to Page Six, Lisa posted images on Instagram of an alleged conversation between the Bravo fan account “Your Moms Are Watching” and “private marketing manager” Patrick Somers. In the messages, “Your Moms Are Watching” announced, “I have tea. I just DMed with Patrick Somers, that kid that sent Rinna a text last weekend threatening her. Rinna then posted the text and the kid posted Rinna’s number and it became a big thing. Well, he just admitted to me KATHY HILTON PAID HIM TO DO THIS. …. Turns out he made everything up just to divert focus from the fact that Lisa was calling out Kathy for the slurs she made in Aspen.” (The reference there seemed to be allegations Kathy used a gay slur in reference to her co-star Sutton Stracke’s assistant. Sutton denied that claim in March, according to Page Six.) The fan account’s next messages reportedly showed the marketing manager explaining that none of the stories he planted about a lawsuit or new reality show were true, and that he made more than $27,000 to launch a campaign “against” Lisa. Once Lisa deleted the screenshots, however, a rep for Kathy told Fox News Digital that nothing that was said in the messages Lisa re-posted were true. “As you can see the posts were deleted by Lisa. This person has made up the entire thing and Kathy does not know him or did not hire him to do any sort of job. It is a totally insane accusation. The IG posts were made to get attention at Kathy’s expense and it worked,” the rep told Fox. “In no way was Kathy involved in any of this.”